"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Friday, August 18, 2017

The Longest Book Tag

Since it is unlikely you will build the longest bridge,
how about listing the longest books you've read?

Thanks very much to Lauren at Always Me for tagging me to complete The Longest Book Tag!   This tag was created by Ditsha @ Betwitchingly Paranoid.  I no longer tend to read really long books, so let's see what long books I read in the past.

The Rules:

1. Make a list of five of the longest books you’ve read.
2. Select two of the longest books on your TBR.
3. Discuss
4. Tag others

The Tag:

Here are five of the longest books that I've read (I don't usually keep track of books by length so I am sure I am forgetting some books I read earlier in my life) -

A. And the Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer, 1184 pages. Though I read it years ago what I remember most about it was the length. I don't think I'd ever read such a long book before this one.

B. Centennial by James Michener, 1086 pages. Of course it was long! I started at the beginning of the world! Ha!

C. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, 1034 pages. Unlike the above book I was not aware of the page length on this book as I read it. For years I would tell people that this was my favorite book but it has been so long since high school, when I read it, that I am only left with impressions. I suspect it would bother me more today than it did years ago to read about the South's fight to keep slaves.

D. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, 974 pages. Another book I read as a young teen and the page length didn't seem remarkable. Believe me, if I was reading a 974 page book today I would remember it!

E. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, somewhere around 900 pages.  The original is around 1450 pages but I read the abridged version of this classic book and it was still long. Loved it, by the way.

The longest books in my TBR pile aren't very long by comparison. I actually spurn long nowadays books unless they come with a great recommendation from someone.

AA. Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty, 843 pages. Recommended by Deb Nance at ReaderBuzz.

BB. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, 609 pages. Recommended by Holly M., a teacher friend.

Tag You're It (No hard feelings, if you aren't interested in doing this tag though):

Sue @ Book by Book
Helen @ Helen's Book Blog
Annette @ Annette's Book Spot
Rummanah @ Books in the Spotlight
Tina @ Tina Says




3 comments:

  1. I don't think I have read any of the ones on your list. When I think of long books I have read- the first one that comes to mind is Pillars of the Earth. It is 1008 pages and I loved it. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet if I reread Gone with the Wind now that I'd probably be even more irritated with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly those are some long books! Mine are no where near that long, but I'll do a post

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.