"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Anne's Cookbook: Fish Tacos with white sauce

Fish tacos, condiments, and white sauce
I go crazy for fish tacos. If they are on the menu, I order them. I crave them and make my hubby go to the local Mexican restaurant for Taco Tuesday quite often. If, however, the fish tacos do not have a tangy white sauce, I end up feeling disappointed. I even asked at my local Taco Del Mar if they would sell me some of their white sauce. The answer was NO. That sent me to the Internet is search of the perfect white sauce, which I've modified and included here.

Recipe for Fish Tacos with white sauce

Fish and marinade:
1-2 pounds of firm fish. I usually buy the frozen, packaged cod from Trader Joes. Or buy fresh.
1/4 cup canola or grapeseed oil
1 lime
1 garlic clove

Thaw fish. Cut into small pieces. Marinate for 15-30 minutes. Never over-marinate fish or it will get mealy. For the marinade use 1/4 cup of canola or grapeseed oil, juice of one lime, one garlic clove smashed, salt and pepper to taste. Place fish pieces on a sheet lined with parchment and bake for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees F.

White sauce (can be made ahead of time for better melding of flavors)
1 cup sour cream, plain yogurt, and/or mayonnaise combination. (I like 1/2 cup of sour cream and a 1/2 cup mayonnaise, but I've made it with 100% yogurt and it is still good.)
1 tsp. dry coriander
1 tsp. dry oregano
1 tsp. dry dill
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. capers, chopped fine
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on how spicy you like your food or chopped spicy fresh pepper, like jalepeno
4-6 drops of Tabasco sauce
Juice of 1/2-1 lime
4 springs of fresh cilantro, chopped up
Salt, to taste

Mix together and refrigerate until fish is ready. If the sauce is too thick, you can milk it down to desired consistency.

Other condiments for the tacos, use what you like:
Shredded cabbage
Avocado slices
Pico de gallo and/or salsa and/or fresh, chopped tomato pieces
Grated cheese

Pico de gallo, I made it for the first time myself last night and it is so easy and good. Try it.
4 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
4-6 springs cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped very fine (use gloves to protect hands and eyes)
Juice of one lime
Salt to taste

Corn tortillas
We buy the soft corn tortillas and heat them one by one on the burner. It just takes a few seconds per side. But you can wrap them up in foil and throw them in the oven to heat as the fish is cooking.

Serve
Each person should make their own tacos to taste. Heat tortillas, add a few pieces of fish, a slice or two of avocado, a sprinkle of cheese, a dollop of white sauce, a spoonful of pico de gallo or salsa, and handful of shredded cabbage for the crunch. Fold in half. Eat, enjoy, repeat.


1 comment:

  1. These sound very yummy-such a great combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.