"Outside a dog a book is man's best friend, inside a dog it is too dark to read!" -Groucho Marx========="The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." -Jane Austen========="I don’t believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."-JK Rowling========"I spend a lot of time reading." -Bill Gates=========“Ahhh. Bed, book, kitten, sandwich. All one needed in life, really.” -Jacqueline Kelly=========

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Sunday Salon, Easter

Photo credit: James Clarke, used with permission.
Happy Easter!

Weather: It was warm today, in the mid 60s. Days like today make it seem like we may have a real spring after all.

Easter: Today we worshiped at our church and then raced home to make an Easter dinner for a small party, us, Dan/Rita, and Dan's parents, Rick and Nancy. We made stuffed Cornish game hens, which took way longer to cook than we thought, green bean casserole, rolls, fruit salad, and, for dessert, rhubarb-custard pie. The fruit salad was good, the Cornish game hens were not very special, the green bean bake was unremarkable,  the rolls didn't rise very well, but the pie was spectacular. By far the shining star of the meal!  Thanks Rick, you make wonderful pie!

Photo: Isn't the above photo beautiful. It was taken by a high school friend of mine yesterday at University of Washington. The campus has lots of flowering trees which are all in bloom right now. Thanks for sharing your gift James!

Listening to: the 70s channel on the Music Choice station on the TV. Currently playing, "Sister Golden Hair" by the group America. I was wild for this group when I was in high school. Once my friends and I went to their concert and I stood on a chair and screamed. I was crazed. Other tunes, which have also been walks down memory lane, "Saturday Night Fever" by the Bee-Gees, "Carry On Wayward Son" by Kansas; and "Cracklin' Rosie" by Neil Diamond.

Books completed this week:

  • Art Deco: The Golden Age of Graphic Art and Illustration by Michael Robinson---sometimes my inner nerd emerges and I just consume a book which wasn't even on the radar the day before. We saw a few Art Deco buildings in New York so suddenly I was interested.
  • Tales of the South Pacific  by James Michener---my Classics Club spin book. This was not my favorite book by Michener or in general.
  • A Man Called Ove by Frederik Backman--- an upcoming book club selection. This book really grew on me as I read it (listened to it.)
  • The Book of Hours: Poems by Kevin Young---I can't remember why I had this poetry book on my TBR pile but I finally turned my attention to it this week. Often people tell me they don't "get" poetry and I think, why not? Well, after reading this volume of poems I can now say, with a few exceptions, I didn't "get" most of the poems.
  • Here We Are: Feminism for the Real World edited by Kelly Jensen--- 44 voices write, draw, and speak about feminism. I think this is an important book and I hope it finds its way into a lot of students' hands.
Currently reading:
  • The Body Eclectic: An Anthology of Poems edited by Patrice Vecchione--- I selected it because of the title. Ha! Print. 25%
  • When We Collided by Emery Lord---this is the last book for my Read the YMA Award books. Print. 10%
  • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas--- the most talked about YA book right now. Theme: Black Lives Matter. Audio. 8%.

Oh: Cat Stevens is playing right now, "Wild World". I am enjoying my walk down memory lane.
Osinbajo, a bishop in Nigeria, speaking with journalists today shortly after the Easter Sunday Service at the Aso Villa Chapel, Abuja, said: “(Easter) is a message of love of Jesus Christ to all mankind. For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whosoever that believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. “It is a message for love for all. There is no tribe, no religion; regardless of faith, Jesus loves us. This is how we should relate with ourselves. It is a pure love and I think that is what everyone should bear in mind at this time”.  Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/04/jesus-characteristics-around-criminals-osinbajo/

I hope you have a fantastic week.

7 comments:

  1. I really, really liked When We Collided! I have 2 more books to read for the challenge. And, my next book up is The Hate U Give.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very nice Easter. We had 13 of us all staying at my mom's house for the entire weekend! Yeah, a bit crazy & chaotic, but it was good to see everyone. Trying to recover now! We had our traditional Ukrainian Easter feast - fabulous food, but way off my usual restricted diet! lol Recovering from that, too.

    My mom said the exact same thing about A Man Called Ove - she wasn't sure she liked it at first but ended up loving it.

    And everyone is talking about The Hate U Give - hope you enjoy it, too!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is not so nice. :( I've started Ove, but so far am not liking the way it's written. I will keep at it, since you say that it grew on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter! That dinner sounds like it was delicious! I drew the short straw and had to work (my other non-library job)... *sigh*. By the way, Carry On Wayward Son is one of my favorite songs and I have to admit that I love how it's used on Supernatural. :) As for America, my dad has an absurd hatred of Horse With No Name - when it would come on the radio he'd have a hilarious commentary on it. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my Nora Ephron feminism book going... articles and essays from the 70s where only the names have changed. Hard to believe. I'll have to see about getting "Here We Are..." next and compare.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would Rick be willing to share the recipe of that rhubarb custard pie????

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments and interactions! Join in the conversation.